Senin, 07 Januari 2013

Crawl

Senin, 07 Januari 2013

As you know, lately I'm very interested in the genre of sludge / doom / metal or whatever you name it. My ears towards boredom with the genre of music that's all. Rif guitar that always turned into the same vein for some time. ah, what's wrong with my ears? Finally, I had to choose. This genre is stomping my brain. seemed to push it out. My passion prompted me to find bands that joined in this genre. And I found them! I'm so curious...

And I agree with them! "Music is about expressing and experimenting." So allow me to acquainted with CRAWL. Southern Sludge Metal / Doom / Amplified Drone from Atlanta, Georgia. With my poor English but great answer!

TB = Tommy Butler
EC = Eric Crowe
TA = Tyler Akers

1. Introduce who you are and what instrument you play.

EC: Eric, and I play guitar, vocals, create samples & noise.
TBMy name is Tommy and I play the drums.
TA: I'm Tyler, and play bass.
 

2. I’m curious about your music. Can you explain what music you play,
and why you formed this band.
TB: We play what most consider a combination of sludge and doom metal. Eric and I met when we worked for the same company in 2007. He came to hear a cover band I was playing in asked if I would be interested in doing a couple of projects with him and I said yep. After those projects stopped, I didn't play for a couple of years. One day in May, I was at a friends house working on my motorcycle, Eric sent me text asking if I knew any drummers not playing and I was like "me". I called him and talked about what he was thinking as far as musical direction and here we are.

TA:  I just recently joined up with Crawl to fulfill their need of a bass player. I've been in several bands as a guitarist but I've been wanting to get into playing bass for a Stoner / Doom project for a while both as a means to learn the instrument and to expand on some musical ideas I've had floating around. Al Cisneros from Sleep/Om is a big influence on me and most the riffs or concepts that I've kept bottled up inside my head couldn't be constructed on a guitar, which prompted me to go splurge on some bass equipment. I was lucky enough to come across Crawl via a friend of mine, and after a few tryouts (of which, they were my first time actually playing bass, but I must not have made too big a fool of myself since things picked up well enough) I was asked to join. 

EC: For me, it's all over the place, but in short we describe it as Southern Sludge / Doom. We have slow heavy sludged out riffs, but then at times there is a thick southern / bluesy vibe going on. We also cross to the other end of the spectrum and experiment with heavy drones and extended pieces, like in our most resent CD split release with BLACK TAR PROPHET. We formed this band out of a need to play music, period. I felt a need for something dirty and crusty, mixed with mammoth riffs that matched a jaded human spirit.
 

3. As we know, the sludge / doom booming lately, and I was the one that
interested in this music genre. I would like to know how you set the
sound when you at the show. Does it need a special time to set what
sound you like, or you do just stay around with the sound obtained at
the time before the show?
TB: I try to tune my drums to have a low resonant sound. I try to tune the day before a show.

EC: We know pretty well what sound and mood we want to achieve for a show, and have been able to pull it off consistently, so far. We really just try to stay honest with our sound and what we put into it, whether it at practice or in a live setting. I know i just try to keep chill and not get tense before a show. 



4. Give me a reason why people should listen to Crawl?

TB: We try not to limit ourselves in a specific sound. You can hear our influences in our writing. We throw in a hint of southern, punk, drone. we love it all.

TA: There's a uniqueness to Crawls sound that immediately drew me to them. Its best described as a creative mix-up of some of the South's dirtiest stoner rock bands and doom giants. Its easy for most bands to pigeon hole themselves to a particular sound and visual aspect, but I've never felt that way with Crawl. From the set we're working with now every song has a unique placement and feel to it as to keep things fresh, and things can move from a fast-paced southern boogie to a heartbeat-a-note slow movement of droning mass. I've always been attracted to band's that create an 'atmosphere' about their music. Even the catchiest riffs fall on their face if there's no emotion or message to convey, and no atmosphere created in which to convey it in. Crawl is still a very young band, but the future is definitely pointing towards something more than just your average run of the mill garage projects.

EC: I think if people listened, they could relate lyrically. People we hang out with, or know or have listened to us can relate to loss,  they can relate fighting an addition of some sort, fighting against those who don't believe in us, who bring us down. People can relate to the hurt and anger and the need for release of it.
 

5. Which releases you really like from your album?
TB: Freedom at Dawn, it drives from the beginning with a nice doom part in the middle.

EC: Walkin' Dead for it's southern groove and also Freedom At Dawn because some parts of it sound so heavy to me and I love the changes in the song.

6. Any other activities other than the band?

TB: Riding my Harley and reading.

TA: I'm a Mechanical Engineering graduate from Georgia Tech. I figure not many stoner/doom bands can say they've got one of those in the lineup. Maybe it'd be hilarious to play a show in a button-up white collar, pocket protector, slacks, thick-rimmed glasses, the whole nine-yards, but then again I doubt my band mates would live through the shame of it. I also play guitar for Blasted Goat. 

EC: I spend a lot of my time with my wife and daughter. I also do a noise / dark ambient project MARAX, which I have done for almost 15 years.

7. Last word..

TB: When a person listens to us or any other band, try having an open mind. Music is about expressing and experimenting.

EC: Well first, thank you for this opportunity and your interest in Crawl! We have quite a few things that we are working on at the moment. We have been hashing out ideas for the next EP, currently titled, "Old Wood and Broken Dreams" along with 2 separate concept albums and a straight forward Doom album, so the ideas and writing have been crazy lately.
We are also currently working out details with a label to re-release our split with BLACK TAR PROPHET on vinyl, most likely closer to the summer.
 

Check us out:

Hungry Heart © 2014